Monday, January 12, 2009

So far so good


Last Monday I began a Monday through Friday commitment of performing a single set of 54 burpees at the end of my workouts. I wrote about it here:

No burpees today no food tomorrow

Well I survived week one and am ready for week two of this challenge. Here’s a quick summary of last week’s effort:

Monday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee demonstrated in the video.

Tuesday
A single set of 54 reps of a modified burpee, replacing the jump with a double front kick. This modification is easier on my knees but much more demanding on my hip flexor muscles.

Wednesday
A single set of 54 reps of the burpee/jumping pullup combo with a different grip for a 6 reps circuit (standard grip pullup – standard grip chinup – close grip pullup – close grip chinup – wide grip pullup – wide grip chinup). I did the pushup part of the burpee using the pushup handles on the bottom of my pullup/bar dip work exercise equipment, so my pushup depth was much deeper.

Thursday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee, the same as Monday.

Friday
A single set of 54 reps of the burpee/jumping pullup combo with pullups and chinups performed as follows: standard grip pullups for reps 1-10 – standard grip chinups for reps 11-20 – close grip pullups for reps 21-30 – close grip chinups for reps 31-40 – standard grip pullups for reps 41-47 – standard grip chinups for reps 48-54. Like Wednesday, I used the pushup handles so my push depth was deeper than a standard pushup.

This week I’ll try some new burpee variations and am looking forward to better performance. I survived week one - so far so good.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: