Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Before I turn 100

This morning I read a news article about a man celebrating his 100th birthday by taking his first parachute-assisted skydive.

Friends of this new centenarian asked him what he wished he had done in his 100 years of life.  He replied how he always wanted to jump from an airplane with a parachute.

“Foolish risk taker!” you quickly call him.  Not so because this centenarian gentleman wasn’t that foolish; he first got a green light seal of approval from his medical doctor.

This wonderful story is another example of how we should be careful what we ask for because we might get it.  I’m sure this Mr. 100 had plenty of time pondering his 100 years of life while taking his 13,000 foot parachute-assisted skydive back to safe ground on planet earth.

His moment of glory story makes me reflect on my long list of wild side things to do.  They remain unaccomplished because my time isn’t right or I’m too busy, or at least this is what I tell myself.

Maybe they remain unaccomplished because of my chronic fascination with procrastination.  Or maybe it’s because deep down inside there’s a little “Chicken Little” in me.  Well in another moment of middle-aged man denial, I conclude this latter self-perspective just isn’t true.

So what about all those risky things I’d like to do in my lifetime?  They’ll continue “sitting” because I’m in no hurry knowing most of them will get accomplished – either in dreams or realities - before I turn 100.


Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: