Thursday, February 6, 2014

To be a middle-aged man

The Beach Boys circa 1960's
From this middle-aged man who professes of seeing a 16-year-old kid when looking in a mirror, I never recall when I was one looking the other way and seeing a middle-aged man. 

Growing up as a young teenager, I listened to a lot of music of The Beach Boys.  When others were listening to their Beatle or Rolling Stone tunes, this middle-aged man preferred Beach Boy songs with their unique vocal harmonies and lyrics reflecting a California youth culture of surfing, cars and romance. 

I remember being in my bedroom listening to Beach Boy music on my little record player while holding an album cover in hand looking at its front and back sides.  I was on a first-name basis with Brian, Dennis, Carl, Mike and Al.

When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) is one Beach Boy song I fondly recall listening to over and over.  

I’m not sure I spent much time actually allowing the lyrics to sink into my head of what my future life would be like as a middle-aged man. 

Now, looking in a mirror in search of my yesteryear youth, I have a real appreciation for this innocent time in my life when I didn’t reflectively ponder about the stuff I now do.


Enjoy this classic song’s lyrics below:

When I grow up to be a man
Will I dig the same things that turn me on as a kid?
Will I look back and say that I wish I hadn't done what I did?
Will I joke around and still dig those sounds
(Will I still joke around and still dig those sounds?)
When I grow up to be a man?

Will I look for the same things in a woman that I dig in a girl?
(Fourteen, fifteen)
Will I settle down fast or will I first wanna travel the world?
(Sixteen, seventeen)
Now I'm young and free but how will it be
(I'm young and free, how will it be?)
When I grow up to be a man?

Ooh, ooh, ooh
Will my kids be proud or think their old man is really a square?
(Eighteen, nineteen)
When they're out having fun yeah, will I still wanna have my share?
(Twenty, twenty-one)
Will I love my wife for the rest of my life
(Will I love my wife rest of my life)
When I grow up to be a man?

What will I be when I grow up to be a man?
(Twenty-two, twenty-three)
Won't last forever
(Twenty-four, twenty-five)
It's kind of sad
(Twenty-six, twenty-seven)
Won't last forever
(Twenty-eight, twenty-nine)
It's kind of sad
(Thirty, thirty-one)
Won't last forever
(Thirty-two)

Life was simple and innocent in those days when I didn’t give much thought about when I grow up to be a middle-aged man.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: