Thursday, August 27, 2015

To do the things we need to do

Earlier this week, I was asked to share my thoughts on the subject of flexibility and specifically about forward-bending and backward-bending flexibility exercises.

Opinions from the “experts” are all over the place such as those who warn how we shouldn’t put our spine into flexion positions – such as forward-bending stretches – during or after training.

Well I’m not one of those experts but I do have my own thoughts about this from many years of training that included dedicated flexibility exercises to counter tight hamstrings caused from running and to improve my ability to kick high when I used to train in karate.  Those days are now part of my yesteryear training past.

While I can appreciate the flexibility of those who practice yoga, Pilates and other fitness activities and who can do amazing things with forward-bending and backward-bending movements and postures, I wish them well while knowing such feats and their pursuits are not for me.

So with precious hindsight from many years of training, this 60-year young middle-aged man’s opinion is that we should only be as flexible as needed to do the things we need to do.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: