Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Me and my hamburger

Yesterday I stumbled across another news article catching my attention about protein which appears to be in vogue these days but only the non-meat version.  Have you heard the latest?

It’s called The Protein Challenge 2040, described by its promoters as “the first global coalition exploring how we feed nine billion people enough protein in a way which is affordable, healthy and good for the environment.”  There’s even a fancy website to peddle this grand idea to anyone interested.   I’m not but maybe you are.  Suggestion:  put on your “follow the money reading glasses if you decide to learn more.

Organizers are calling for others to join and bring their resources (translation:  we need your money) and expertise to help their “worthy” cause.  Initially, their focus will be on increasing plant-based protein consumption, developing sustainable animal feed and closing the protein nutrient loop. 

Isn’t it nice someone cares about this for you and me?

Organizations who are members reads like a who’s who list of international companies.  Ones you and I would recognize include Coca-Cola, Pepsico, and The Hershey Company as in chocolate bars, big names that don’t ring a protein bell to me. A noted non-member is McDonald’s - wonder why?

Who came up with this grandiose idea, who’s paying their salaries and where will a follow-the-money inquiry lead us?

I don’t have the time or energy to answer my questions but lately it feels like there’s a conspiracy out there with a goal of separating me and my hamburger.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: