Friday, November 14, 2008

Fascination with procrastination

Last Wednesday at the gym while sitting on a bench recovering from a set of squats, a gym acquaintance looked at me and asked if I was turning into a hippie. That's a word I haven't heard in a long time.

"What do you mean", I asked. He replied that my hair was getting long and wondered if I was turning into a hippie.

No was my reply but that I was long overdue for a haircut; just like I was on October 10th when I wrote about it here: I need a haircut

Yikes, that was more than a month ago! At the end of each day since then, I told myself, "I'll get that haircut tomorrow" - maƱana in Spanish and domani in Italian.

What's that all about? Is it my dormant lazy personality raising its ugly head? Is it my fascination with procrastination?

Procrastination is defined as a type of behavior characterized by deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. Psychologists often cite procrastination as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision.

What's my anxiety of getting a haircut?

Well maybe I'll get that haircut soon, but first I have some self-discovery to do. I need to figure out what's my fascination with procrastination.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: