Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Amazing role model to me

Last week I met an amazing man, a 74-years-young widower, who serves as a caregiver for both his nonagenarian mother and father.  His divorced parents reside in the same mobile home park community as him.

His 96-year old father resides with him while his mother resides in a separate mobile home a stone’s throw away.  Needless to say, this caregiving son has his hands full yet the day I met him, his calm and pleasant demeanor was a true joy to witness.

“Longevity runs in our family.”, he said in sharing how his grandmother lived just shy of her 105th birthday.  “We don’t put our family in rest homes.”, he added.

With my wife and I now spending more time helping her increasingly-needy 89-year-old father, this middle-aged man found true inspiration in the character and conduct of this wonderful 74-year-young caregiver.  He inspired me to step outside my comfort zone and to acknowledge he’s an amazing role model to me.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: