Thursday, September 22, 2022

At a gentleman's pace


You get older and realize the fitness stuff you did as a younger man can't be done, or if it can be done, it takes a lot of hard work begging the question is it worth the effort.  My great friend and now deceased Mr. Tommy Kono - America's greatest Olympic weightlifter - best explained it when he told me the following:



"When I was a young man, I trained to get better.  Then as I aged, I trained to maintain what I have achieved.  Now, as an older man, I train to survive!"

 

Is this now me talking to myself?

 

Not yet is my initial answer but maybe yes.

 

Regardless, there comes a chapter in one’s middle-aged man fitness journey when the road traveled is a bit slower.

 

Like, for example, my workout the other day at the park, consisting of 100 double-pump burpee pull-ups done at a slower pace.  The workout was still hard, but I got it done at a pace that was age-appropriate for me.


 

I’ve arrived at a point in my life where my fitness pursuits are being done at a gentleman’s pace.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: