Tuesday, September 2, 2008

If he can do it then I can try

In August 2007 I attended the Tommy Kono II, a local Olympic weightlifting competition held in Sacramento named in honor of native Sacramentan Tommy Kono, the most decorated Olympic weightlifting champion in USA history. I understood the Olympic lifts but had no direct training experience with them as my primary training methods for the past three years had been bodyweight-only exercises such as pull-ups, pushups, etc. It was fun watching a local competition of high school boys and girls, senior and master lifters. A master lifter is someone over 35 years of age.


As the competition went on, I saw an older man approach the platform and prepare for his lift. I was told he was 79 year young Dan Takeuchi. My jaw dropped as I watched Mr. Takeuchi complete his lifts that day. At a bodyweight of 74kg (163 lbs.), he hoisted overhead 65kg in the snatch (143 lbs.) and 85kg (187 lbs.) in the clean and jerk.

Later on that evening as I was reflecting on what I had seen Mr. Takeuchi accomplish, I told myself “if he can do it then I can try”. I had just made a decision to give Olympic lifting a try.


With Weightlifting, Olympic Style, a book authored by Tommy Kono himself, and the coaching guidance of a new friend Don Weideman, I began my apprenticeship with the Olympic lifts in September 2007. I trained alone most of the time but would meet with Don at his home on Fridays for one-on-one coaching. My training was hit-and-miss so my progress was slow and continues to be slow to this day.

Fast forward one year later to August 2008 and I enter my first Olympic weightlifting competition, the Tommy Kono III. I competed in the 85kg weight division as a master lifter. Also competing was 80 year young Dan Takeuchi. I went up to Mr. Takeuchi and introduced myself, telling him how his performance one year earlier had inspired me, and how I told myself “if he can do it then I can try”. Mr. Takeuchi was grateful and humble that he had been such an inspiration to me.

Well I made my first lift of 60 kg (132 lbs.) in the snatch but missed my second and third attempts of 65kg (143 lbs.) I had succeeded with 68kg (150 lbs.) in training with this lift. In the clean and jerk, I made my first attempt of 80kg (176 lbs.) and my second attempt of 83kg (183 lbs.) but missed my third attempt of 85kg (187 lbs.) Actually I got the 85kg overhead but received a red light due to pressout (not allowed). My best lift efforts were lower than what Mr. Takeuchi had done one year earlier, but I was satisfied with my first effort. And I’m looking forward to my next competition.

Thank you Don Weideman for being my friend and my coach.

And thank you Mr. Dan Takeuchi for inspiring me, and keep at it because if you can do it then I can try!

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed,

To learn to lift in your fifties and do it right is awesome. It's been great working with you.

Don Weideman

mezzie said...

Very inspirational!

mezzie