Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Was I chasing wind?

These days I train in the Olympic lifts but prior to that for 3 years I was a bodyweight-only fitness dude. I did high-volume rep training of traditional calisthenics such as pull-ups and pushups, generally a circuit of multiple sets with minimal rest between sets.

I also experimented with other bodyweight-only training methods such as dynamic visualized resistance, dynamic self-resistance and isometrics, but always gravitated back to calisthenics. I enjoyed anaerobic endurance training because it elevated my heart rate, giving me a good dose of exercise-induced endorphins. As if that wasn’t enough, most of the time I ended my training with a good hard run.

During this fitness era, each year I prepared for the Marine Physical Fitness Test, self-administering it to myself on my birthday. Three times a week karate training was also something I did. And not to be lazy, I found time to train and enter about a half-dozen fun runs during the year, mostly 5k and 10k distances. I took all of my training seriously like a world-class athlete, priding myself on my anaerobic endurance. I had boundless energy, was very lean, ate like a horse and slept like a baby. People constantly told me how fit I was. “Life is great” I told myself. “Yes it is” I replied.

But then one day I didn’t want to train this way any longer. I was ready for a change. Maybe my body was telling me to cool it. I’m not sure. I had no lingering aches and pains beyond the occasional and expected delayed-onset muscle soreness. Looking back, maybe I no longer wanted it really bad whatever it was this training gave me. The answer is still not clear so I’ll blame it on being a middle-age man, a little more tired than before.

So now I train in the Olympic lifts twice a week. The high-volume rep sets are a thing of my past. Karate training is still part of what I do, but that training has tapered to once a week at best. I haven’t run in about a month. Prior to that my running had slowed to once a week. It’s official – I am a retired fun run athlete.

“But when I turned to all the works that my hands had wrought, and to the toil at which I had taken such pains, behold! all was vanity and a chase after wind, with nothing gained under the sun.” This is a verse from Ecclesiastes, one of the biblical books of the Old Testament, a treatise on the vanity of all things.

Reflecting back on my past crazy way of training, I sometimes ask myself “was I chasing wind?”

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, I have pursued various fitness goals for most of my life. And during that long period—in my case a span of over 40 years—I have pursued many different approaches. My primary training method for most of my life was with weights. In many ways, weights worked admirably for me. But there were shortcomings, which you and I have talked about in the past at other venues.

For me, visualized resistance training has proven to be far and away more efficient than weights. And I’m hard pressed to ever imagine trying yet another stint at lifting.

So I find it a bit ironic that you are now exploring Olympic lifting. But you are enthusiastic about your efforts, and that is wonderful. First and foremost, you must stay enthusiastic. I tell that to everyone, including myself.

Pierini Fitness said...

Thanks for stopping by and your comments.

Agreed. Visualized resistance training served me well so yes there is irony in the way I am currently training. I sometimes find myself in positions to suggest various training approaches. After a thoughtful intake, visualized resistance training is sometimes the prescription I dispense.

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to Catholic psychologist and veteran bodybuilder Kevin Vost's web site. He's also been featured on Bass's site, and I believe you like Bass's general approach to training.

Fit for Eternal Life

Pierini Fitness said...

Wow that looks like a great site. I'm going to spend some time there to understand what he has to offer.

Thanks for thinking of me and taking the time to share.

Anonymous said...

I'm sort of in the same boat. After concentrating on Self resistance and such for ~3 years, I'm playing around with weights through Crossfit.
Am I "betraying" my former style of training? Or did I waste my time for those years?
Nope.
I couldn't have done what I'm doing now if I hadn't built a great deal of strength and power through Iso's, DSR, DVR.
My "tool chest" of ideas on how to train is much improved, and my mind can stay constantly engaged and interested.

Besides, we plan on exercising into our 90's like Jack Lalanne, so we have plenty of time to learn and improve.

Now, perhaps a better question would be is if " bodily exercise profiteth little : but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come," is there something better we could be doing with our time?

Pierini Fitness said...

Thanks for stopping by Cliff and thanks for sharing.

You ask a good question. I think I know my answer and it is yes.

But I will qualify my answer that we need good health fitness to do our best at doing that something better we could be doing with our time.

Have a great day!