Saturday, October 4, 2008

Always be her groom


On February 25, 1978 I said "I do" during an exchange of wedding vows with my wife and we have now been married for 30 years. On that blessed day, she was my bride and I was her groom, and that is how we are described on our marriage license.

But that was then and this is now because in May 2008, the California Supreme Court overturned a state ban on same-sex marriage in a four-to-three decision. New guidelines for the county clerks who issue marriage licenses require them to replace "bride" and "groom" on the license application with "party A" and "party B".

That doesn't sound right to me. How far will this go and what's next? A prohibition of the words man, woman, husband and wife? Imagine a conversation of two men in which one asks the other what his party B does for a living, or two women in which one asks the other if her party A came from a large family.

Will a bachelor now be known as a party A candidate, and a bachelorette a party B candidate? Or maybe it's the other way around. The new requirements do not provide any guidance. So maybe a bachelor could be either a party A candidate or party B candidate, the choice being his.

Will bridal showers be replaced with party B showers? And what about bride's maids; what shall we call them? How about party B helpers, do you like the way that sounds?

Every married middle-age man with the battle scars to prove it always remembers his bachelor party, but will this generation of men remember theirs? Maybe the term bachelor party will be as unfamiliar to them as the term icebox is to my generation. It may be more commonly known as party A candidate party, a little too wordy for me.

And what about "middle-age man", my prestigious title that I display with honor and pride. I will not let anyone tell me that I've got to call myself a middle-age party A.

With God's grace, I look forward to the day in which my wife and I celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, a coveted accomplishment in today's disposable spouse lifestyle, but first we have some work to do, to fix this nonsense that has creeped into our lives.

Fortunately, voters in California will have an opportunity to vote YES on a constitutional amendment, known as Proposition 8, which would override this court decision. The measure will appear on the 2008 California general election ballot this November.

I'm voting YES for Proposition 8 so women can be women, men can be men, brides can be brides, grooms can be grooms, wives can be wives and husbands can be husbands. Whether it passes or not, my wife will always be my bride and I will always be her groom.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

5 comments:

Chino Blanco said...

"Whether it passes or not, my wife will always be my bride and I will always be her groom."

Exactly.

So, what are you worried about?

Other people?

That's a tendency that you should work to overcome rather than celebrate.

Pierini Fitness said...

Hello chino blanco and thanks for stopping by and your civil comments to a topic that tends to become heated.

Have a great day!

Peter said...

I like your post; I like the way you think. I'm reminded where the Lord says: "You are the salt of the earth..." Good post.

Pierini Fitness said...

Thank you Peter and thanks for stopping by. Come back often, you are also welcome here.

Have a great weekend!

Franklin said...

You are blessed with a beautiful bride .. great wedding photo!