Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Colorful, delicious and spicy fajitas

Introducing the Pierini DIET here

With all I’ve written about middle-age man training ideas, reflective ramblings and occasional economic and political thoughts, some might not know that I have other talents.

While I’m not a gourmet chef, I do have some cooking skills that definitely go beyond heating up a slab of spam in the microwave or boiling some Ramen noodles. I can cook when needed and periodically do so. I’m also good at cleaning as I cook, a trick I learned back in my teenage job days of working in restaurants.

Years ago I got into making homemade soup, starting from scratch with the broth. My best creations, in my opinion, were minestrone soup and chicken corn tortilla soup. I haven’t made either of these soups in several years as I’ve become increasingly lazy with middle-age manhood. It’s very time-consuming to make homemade soup from scratch and do it right.

My latest culinary efforts include a pasta dish with Italian hot sausage, sweet peppers and red onions sautéed together in a pan of olive oil along with basil and oregano spices for accent flavor. That effort came out so delicious that I just about ate the entire dish myself, something I’ve been known to do.

I like my cooked food to be colorful like another dish I recently prepared about two weeks ago. It’s a beef fajita dish made with tri-tip sirloin steak cooked in a sizzling hot pan of olive oil along with sweet peppers, red onions and green beans. I use some basil, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano and a dash of salt to give the steak some fire, flavor and punch. I like to eat my homemade fajitas with flour tortillas but they’re just as good with corn tortillas.

All middle-age men athletes in training need to eat like athletes and that’s what I do when I cook and eat my colorful, delicious and spicy fajitas.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Tony, um, I mean Pierini.
Groupie, huh????

Ok, you made me hungry with the fajita photo. I'm never thought of putting green beans in there. Why not, right? Looks good!!

Donna

Charles Long said...

Looks good except that I hate onions.