Tuesday, December 8, 2015

On Christmas Day

Do middle-aged men buy themselves Christmas presents?  I suppose some do while others don’t.  This middle-aged man is among the latter but after thinking about it and reading what others have to say, maybe he should reconsider and not be a scrooge with himself.

It’s been so long since Santa Claus has been part of my mindscape that I’ve forgotten the boyhood joy of wanting this or that for Christmas.  Maybe as part of my gracefully aging journey or actually youthful retention journey, I should ignite the dormant boyish joy flame in me and yearn for a Christmas gift or two.

And if I were to do this, what would I want Santa to bring me?  Honestly, at this moment, I really don’t know.

But I do know this, socks, underwear, cologne, clothes or a box of See’s Candies wouldn’t make my short wish list.

Neither would a pair of sheepskin slippers, a bottle of fine wine or a bottle of cheap wine for that matter, jewelry, or a all-inclusive weekend getaway to a dude ranch in Montana.

Trying to cultivate some youthful joy to round out the rough-around-the-edges me, I’ll be pondering for next couple of weeks of what I want Santa to bring me on Christmas Day.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: