Saturday, July 4, 2009

Keeping your mouth shut


Visit internet fitness and health forums or read a fitness magazine and sooner or later you’ll stumble across the topic of eating healthy snacks. Chances are that people interested in this topic are overweight and trying to lose weight.

I'm not trying to lose weight so this topic doesn't interest me; nor do those that advocate eating five or six smaller meals a day to lose weight. I agree that frequent eating is effective for someone trying to gain weight but beg to differ that it’s the best prescription for someone trying to lose weight.

Based on my personal experience with intermittent fasting or intermittent feeding – call it whatever you want or IF for short – losing those last 5 to 10 lbs. of bodyweight is no different than losing the first 5 to 10 lbs; you do it by just eating LESS! Snacking, in my opinion, makes in harder at the end of the day to eat less.

For anyone trying to lose weight, my advice is to eat less and skip those snacks. How do you do it? By keeping your mouth shut.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree.
I read just this week the words healthy snack and beef jerky in the same post.
The overall key to weight loss is to eat less. So just say NO to snacking :)

Have a happy and safe 4th of July!
Donna

Pierini Fitness said...

That was probably the same post I read that inspired me to write today's blogflection.

I'm not keeping my mouth shut today because I need to eat more to not drop any more bodyweight.

Have a great day!

Charles Long said...

I read that one also. I very rarely snack anymore. I miss the old days when snacks meant Oreos, Twizzlers, and Cheetos. Sigh....

Pierini Fitness said...

remember those days too. I'm one of these people who can't eat one.

Give me a chocolate bar and I'll eat the whole thing, going for a PR in the process. My wife can break off a small piece, eat it and then wrap the bar and put it in the refrigerator for next time.

Unbelievable!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha!! I thought that might have been the inspiration for your blog:)
I'm a binge eater, so I can't stop with one bite either. It's best to just say no---and chew gum.

Donna

Charles Long said...

I hear what you're saying. Last time I bought a bag on M&M's the plan was to eat a few a day and make it last all week. It was gone in 10 minutes. I can't do it. If I have I will eat it. Best just to stay away from that stuff altogether.