Friday, February 19, 2010

Long after I'm gone

The Pierini DIET - click here to learn more

As a businessman for almost 30 years, I’ve had many clients come and go as is normal in any business. In the earlier years when I wasn’t as polished in the client relations department, some of those clients who decided to go did so because they believed that someone else would be a better personality match. That still happens once and a while but not like the old days. Now, when someone goes it’s more likely that they’ve been called home to their Creator.

The other day I received a message from an assistant of a 90-year young client. She shared that my client is not doing well, sleeps more and more and just plain doesn’t want to be here anymore. That message left me in a momentary daze without thoughts or words as images of my client danced in my head. He’s been a client for over 20 years and, at his 90th birthday celebration last summer, introduced me to a large gathering present as one of his most trusted advisors and friends. It was an honor that I'll always cherish.

This is a client who has given me many great words of wisdom over the years including that nobody wants to live to be 100 except the 99 year old man.

In reading his assistant’s message, I wondered if he now has a change of heart, and if his words of wisdom were meant to be understood figuratively rather than literally. He’s lived a long and wonderful life with many blessings so I believe him when he says that he’s ready to go at anytime.

Coming out of my momentary daze, I realized what a wonderful relationship I’ve had with him. It made me appreciate how great life has been, how great life is and, hopefully, how great life will be for me in the years ahead.

While I believe that life begins at conception, we live in a world that conveniently celebrates our lives on birthdays and funeral days. Like my dear client who won't live forever, the memories of my life will live long after I'm gone.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Pierini for a very touching blog post. I want to type something profound, but I have no words except thank you.

Donna