Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The 300 KB swing workout club

It doesn’t take long after entering the almost cult-like world of kettlebell (KB) training before discovering the 300 KB swing workout.  

Internet websites galore have content with eye-catching titles such as “300 Swings a Day for Faster Fat Loss”.  Visit YouTube and you’ll find the same such as “Blast Fat With 300 Kettlebell Swings”.  Do some surfing and find out for yourself.

I say lets skip the fat loss theme and judge the KB swing by what really matters and that’s how great a simple exercise it is which, if done, correctly, does an excellent job of working your core/trunk power zone while giving you a great cardiovascular conditioning workout when done with some challenging yet and achievable repetition volume.

So after reading much about the magical 300 KB swing workout, recently I finally decided to see what it was all about and take it for a test drive.

Most of the suggestions about a 300 KB swing workout are that you space out the reps throughout the day but I was more interested in getting them all done in a short and intense workout. 

Using my trusted 20 kilogram KB, the only one I own, I got my first 300 KB swing workout in by doing alternating single-arm swings of the hand-to-hand variety.  I decided to perform 20 repetitions per round for 15 rounds starting a new round every minute.  On average, it took me about 40 seconds to get my 20 repetitions completed, leaving me with a brief 20 second rest before starting another round.

Less than 15 minutes later – about 14:41 to be exact – I completed my first ever 300 KB swing workout.  I liked how it felt and have repeated this workout a couple times since. 

Monday of this week I did a 300 KB swing workout again and finished in 12:08.  I did this in 10 rounds of 30 reps starting a new round every 1:15.

Yes I’ve joined the 300 KB swing workout club.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: