Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Oatmeal season is here again

It’s amazing how our foods of favor come and go sort of like seasons of the year.  I’m sure being a middle-aged man creature of habit also enters into my breakfast choice “business decisions” made each day. 

Take oatmeal as an example.  I like oatmeal and there are times when it’s my breakfast favorite competing with the old-school egg as my morning go-to food.  But for whatever reason for most of this year, until now, I seldom ate it.

Until now, as I just said.

Yup, I’ve restocked this middle-aged man’s breakfast inventory and oatmeal is now my front-and-center favorite.  I won’t eat it every day but chances are in the next couple months, it’s an odds-on favorite of being consumed at two to three days a week.

I like mine simple like my morning cup of coffee – straight and strong – with no sugar or cream added to ruin it.  The oatmeal I buy is organic and purchased from the bins at my local natural food store.

The way in which I prepare it doesn’t require doesn’t require elite culinary chef skills.  I simple add about one cup of oatmeal to two cups of boiling water, let it cook for about 2 minutes, and then add two tablespoons of organic whole ground flaxseed meal.  My final touch is to top off my steaming breakfast dish with a couple manly shakes of ground cinnamon for a little spice and to make my breakfast meal look pretty to the sight.

For the macronutrient fans, this quick and easy breakfast meal clocks in at about 365 calories of which 64 percent are carbohydrates, 14 percent protein and 22 percent fat. 

This middle-aged man has been known to eat this tasty dish for dinner when he’s thinking outside the box.

At Pierini Fitness, oatmeal season is here again.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: