Friday, January 6, 2017

Crazy to be lazy

When I count the number of years I’ve lived with my right hand, pretending to have lots of fingers, and then use my left hand to count the probable number of years remaining in my life, again pretending I have lots of fingers and God willing, I quickly realize how my right hand has way more “fingers” than my left hand.

What do I call this finger-counting activity?  I call it a realization that, even though I may jokingly say how I see a 16-year old kid when looking in a mirror, I’ve lived more of my life than the life I have remaining.  The only exception would be if I live to be 123 years; this is wishful thinking and not likely.

“Wow man!” I privately reflect with a heavy mental inflection like how it sounded when Tommy, of the old-school Cheech and Chong tag team, would vocalize it.  Middle-aged men within striking distance of my age will likely be familiar with this “Wow man!” expression. 

So, with this realization of my fast-ticking life clock, I have this urgency of how I better get to work in my game of life.  This is because each minute, hour, day, week, month and year I waste depletes my fixed reservoir of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years remaining in my life expectancy. 

It’s like taking a dollar bill out of my wallet and setting it on fire.  Sure, I can reach back in my wallet and grab another one, but I only have so many dollars in my wallet.  While I could go to my bank and get more money to replenish my wallet, I could only do this for so long before I’d be flat broke with no money at all. 

Well these remaining years of my life are like all the money I have or could have from all my sources; it’s finite within my limits.

So, when I’m lazy, and I sometimes am, I waste valuable time living my life to its fullest.  This wasted time can only be replaced from my dwindling years of remaining life expectancy.  I must not confuse this being lazy activity with something healthy like rest, recovery and rejuvenation.  The two are not the same.  Lazy is lazy, and I’m sure you and I know both know the difference. 

Therefore, I realize with each minute ticking away in the remaining life I have, how it’s crazy to be lazy.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: