Friday, January 13, 2017

Grandfather time

Friday is a day of the week that generates various memories when I think about it.  As a younger person, bellowing the classic “Thank God it’s Friday” (TGIF) acronym was music to my ears and imagination when thinking about how I was soon to begin my long-awaited weekend.  Other Friday-centric memories were those couple times a year when it was Friday the 13th, like today.

The TGIF memories changed over time but were generally more frequent when younger, beginning as a soldier in the U.S. Army and continuing when I was an employee working for someone else.  I didn’t seem to have a TGIF mindset as much once I became a self-employed stiff. 

My TGIF memories also had a bar-hopping with friends’ component to it, along with sleeping late on the weekends and having, as The Beach Boys sang, fun, fun, fun.

The Friday the 13th thing was never that big of a deal for me as I’ve never been, nor are, superstitious.  Nevertheless, I recall being in the company of those who were so Friday the 13th chatter inevitably became a topic of small-talk discussion.

What Friday memories is this middle-aged man making nowadays, and more specifically today?

The awesome and wonderful time I’ll soon be having today and tomorrow with a couple little fellas; it’s called grandfather time.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: