Friday, August 29, 2008

Something is better than nothing

Many years ago, I use to have the "all or nothing" training mentality. If I could not do all the workout I was "supposed" to do, then I would do nothing at all. 

This training mindset did not serve me well and during my busy work “tax season” from January through April (I’m a self-employed CPA) I would experience "fitness erosion".

Then I discovered a new mentality - the "something is better than nothing" mentality - and my fitness life has been different ever since. I no longer experience fitness erosion, or as much of it, as I use to during this busy time of year. Some of the most demanding workouts I have done with this new training mentality were completed within 10 minutes or less early in the morning so I could get to work early for a 12 hour plus work day.

I personally like early morning workouts as they energize me and set the pace for a highly-productive day at the office where I sit for a living. They seemed better when I was doing volume-oriented bodyweight-only training. Now that I am doing more strength training, I actually prefer early afternoon, but I still do train early in the morning at least half the time.

It is all good - we just gotta show up because something is better than nothing.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: