Monday, June 8, 2009

Basement dojo


On Saturday I returned to the dojo for a Saturday morning karate workout with my karate brothers and sister after an extended hibernation. Let’s just say I’m a little rusty but I did OK. Lots of muscle memory and the spillover benefit of the other training I’ve been doing definitely helped.

The workout was kind and gentle; call it geriatrics karate as my Sensei did about the same time that those same words were rolling around in my mind in the middle of the workout. We are an aging ensemble of karateka and our training reflects that reality, but we are still doing it and that’s what counts.

On Sunday morning, I awakened and was pleasantly surprised that I wasn’t as sore as expected.

It’s more difficult for me to get to the dojo these days, as it’s about 30 miles from where I live, and I have some family special needs' responsibilities that add to the challenge. So at this point I’ve made a commitment to get there at least once a month for a Saturday morning workout. Hopefully things will improve and I’ll eventually be able to visit the dojo more often. There’s no reason why I can’t do some training on my own in my basement. Kata training is excellent for those basement-training sessions in solitude.

Here’s a video demonstration of the kata Gosoku from about 2.5 years ago when my training was regular. This is one of my favorite kata and viewing it inspires me to ramp up my training.




It’s time for some solo training in my basement dojo.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: