Sunday, May 24, 2015

The day my father died

In our middle-aged man journey of living and dying, gracefully aging and trying to live a good and honest life comes a significant moment when a parent dies.  

I had this significant moment two years ago this day at 2:26 a.m. when my father's stay on planet earth came to an end. 

He was a child of God, cradle-to-grave Roman Catholic man, World War II Navy veteran, weightlifter who loved the iron barbell but, most importantly, he was my Dad.  

Child of God 1926

Roman Catholic man in training circa 1940

Young sailor on liberty circa 1946

World War II Navy Veteran


Weightlifter who loved the barbell circa 1957


Most importantly, he was my Dad
My feelings about my Dad were previously expressed in a poem I wrote to him the last Easter Sunday we spent together about two months before his death.  It's included in my book but I'm sharing it here today at Pierini Fitness.  


The best way to honor my Dad is how I live the rest of my life and that's what I always strive to do.  

Today I'll visit his grave at the cemetery and in deep prayer and reflective thought remember my last moments with him two years ago today, May 24th, the day my father died.


Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: