Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Hot and humid summer day

Progress has been so-so and slow in my Summer 2017 resurrected running journey.  Now, due to circumstances beyond my control, I’m taking at least a one-week time out.

Why, you may be wondering?

I’ll be glad to tell you.

Last weekend, this middle-aged man found himself enjoying more pleasant coastal weather so he took advantage of a break from triple-digit weather he’d been enduring to get outside and do some serious walking.

He walked about six to seven miles on Friday and the same distance on Saturday.  It felt good breathing coastal-fresh air, and being free of any self-imposed performance expectations.  My stopwatch and heart rate monitor were nowhere to be found.

Unfortunately, I “caught” a serious blister on the ball of my foot.  How this happened I’ll never know, but it did.  Consequently, running is not in my game plan this week.  I’m walking around with a limp like the character Festus from the old Gunsmoke western television series long ago.

I honestly couldn’t run if my life depended on it.  Well, maybe I could but there’s nothing on my horizon now indicating my life is depending on it.  So, I’ll let my paw heal before lacing up my running shoes and continuing in my running pursuits.

This middle-aged man running now wouldn’t be pretty.  Imagine the speed of a fat man running an uphill 100-meter dash on a hot and humid summer day.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: