Wednesday, October 15, 2008

2008 measurable fitness goals

At the beginning of this year I outlined my 2008 measurable fitness goals as follows - with my current achievements in bold italics:

Training effort - Put in at least 200 quality training sessions during the year. What is quality: for me to judge.

I haven't counted training sessions thus far so I'm not sure if I am on track to achieve this goal but I'm guessing I'll be close.

Endurance - Not the priority it has been in prior years. My days of high volume bodyweight-only training and longer-running distances are behind me at this point. But I would like to be able to run a 5k in at least 22:00.


I've had some feet and knee injuries and am officially "retired" from the fun run circuit so goal not achieved and will not be achieved.

Speed - I've had feet problems ever since I wore track racing shoes last summer and I am currently still recovery from a left-heel injury. Assuming that I conquer these nuisance ailments, I'd like to lace up the track shoes and hit the track this summer for another round of all-comer track meets and improve my times in the shorter distances. So I'd like to beat these current PRs by at least 1/10th of a second (current PR date in parenthesis):

100m - 0:15.26 (8/10/2006) - this is my weakest distance

200m - 0:29.92 (7/26/2007)

400m - 1:04.47 (7/26/2007)

800m - 2:37.68 (7/12/2007)

1,600 - 6:12 (7/27/2006)

I have not achieved any of these goals as my fun run career appears to be over as discussed above.

Strength - My current interest is with the Oly lifts and my plan is to continue training. At a bodyweight of 185 lbs. or less, I'd like to conquer a 150 lb. snatch (ATG squat snatch only counts) and a 200 lb. clean & jerk (ATG squat clean and split jerk). My current PR is a 123 lb. snatch and 181 lb. clean & jerk.I'd also like to conquer a 38 inch box jump for at least a single rep. My current best effort is 36 inches for 5 reps.

I snatched 155 lbs. on 10/10/2008 and clean and jerked 185 lbs. on 9/20/2008 at a bodyweight of 185 lbs. or less. I have not tested myself with box jumps lately but I will try before the year is over.

Other stuff - The Marine Physical Fitness Test is something I will not train for this year after having done so the past 3 years for my birthday. I conquered my goal of scoring 250 points and I just don't have the fire in my belly to do it again this year.


I'm enjoying the challenges of static isometric postures and I'll add some goals with these, listing both my goal and my current PR:

-Handstand hold with feet against the wall for balance: goal of 2:00 - my current best is 1:43.

I did 1:59 this year so I'm close to achieving this goal.


-Standard grip pullup hang hold: goal of 2:15 - my current best is 2:08.

I have not improved thus far this year but I'll keep trying.

-Ab plank hold: goal of 5:00 -my current best is 4:32.

I achieved this goal with a 5:01 hold on 5/28/2008.


-Superman extension on the GHD unit: goal of 1:30 - my current best is 1:05.

I did 1:19 on 6/12/2008 so I am close to achieving this goal.

I have had a long-standing unachieved goal of completing 20 standard grip pullups with strict form. I've gotten as high as 18 reps. I'll keep doing pullups but will not state this as a 2008 goal. It would be nice but I'm not sure I'm willing to do the work.

I have not done alot of pullups this year and can probably only currently do 14 reps for a single set.

Aesthetics - 
To continue seeing a 16-year old kid when I look in the mirror. This may very well be the only goal I'll achieve in 2008 as it is kind of subjective, but I know best.

No doubt about this one - mission accomplished!


I’ll give a final accounting at the end of this year on how I did in meeting my 2008 measurable fitness goals.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: