Monday, November 17, 2008

A Charles Atlas story you'll enjoy


About three or four years ago, I posted on the Charles Atlas fitness website my Dad's account of meeting Mr. Atlas in his New York City office over 60 years ago.

My Dad was a young sailor about to be discharged from the U.S. Navy at the end of World War II and had a 30-day furlough to get from Charleston, South Carolina back to his home of Sacramento, California.

Rather than spend his travel allowance to purchase a bus or train ticket, he decided to save the money and hitchhike across the United States to visit a few places he might never see again. One such place was New York City where he traveled to seek out one person he always wanted to meet, the legendary Charles Atlas.

About a year or two ago, the Charles Atlas website eliminated all posts on its forum, so this great story was lost in cyberspace. Unfortunately, I cannot find my interview notes or word processing document file of this fascinating account. But fortunately for me, my 82-year young Dad has a great memory and I've just finished interviewing him again about the young sailor who met Charles Atlas.

Give me a few days and I'll publish a Charles Atlas story you'll enjoy.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: