Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I have an umbrella


Every year for the past five years I've entered a 10k fun run on Thanksgiving Day called "Run To Feed The Hungry", an annual holiday tradition for countless Sacramento-area families.

Beginning in 1994 with only 800 runners, it is now a very large Thanksgiving Day fun run and fundraising event. Last year, about 23,000 participants attended and raised over $600,000 for the Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services, a community nonprofit organization.

Here are my 10k fun run performances the past five years:

2007 - 49:08 or a 7:55/mile pace at age 52

2006 - 45:13 or a 7:17/mile pace at age 51

2005 - 45:33 or a 7:21/mile pace at age 50

2004 - 45:39 or a 7:21/mile pace at age 49

2003 - 44:54 or a 7:13/mile page at age 48

My lackluster performance last year was due to insufficient training as I had been concentrating on my new interest with the Olympic lifts. It was the hardest of the five fun runs I completed. I remember asking myself as I struggled to finish if it would be my last.

Well it was because I am officially retired from the fun run lifestyle, a wonderful era in my fitness journey lasting many years and contributing greatly to my fitness and health.

I live nearby the mid-point of the 10k fun run course so I'll be there this year as the runners pass to cheer them. I'll rekindle pleasant memories from my past and know firsthand how hard they are working as they try their best. Being a cheerleader rather than a runner will be a fun experience. Just like I tried to be the best runner I could on that day, I'll be the best cheerleader I can, shouting words of encouragement like "great job, you're doing great, keep it up".

And afterwards, I'll go on a 10k walk in my neighborhood to keep the Thanksgiving Day 10k tradition alive for me. Unlike the brisk walks I normally take, I'll go slower and enjoy the tree-lined streets and quietness of an early Thanksgiving Day morning.

I've checked the weather reports and it should be a great day for a long walk. There shouldn't be problem as no rain is forecasted. If it is raining I'll still take the walk because I have an umbrella.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: