Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day


It's something my grandfather, father, son and I all have in common besides the same first name and surname; we are all veterans and served our country as members of its armed forces.

My grandfather was in the Army during World War I stationed in England. My father was in the Navy during World War II assigned to a ship patrolling the Okinawa Islands. I was in the Army in San Francisco and the Republic of Korea during the peacetime era following the Vietnam War, and my son was in the Army stationed in the Republic of Korea when terrorists attacked U.S. soil on September 11, 2001. None of us were injured in combat, did anything valiant, or made the military a career, but we did serve our country with honor and pride.

Today is Veterans Day in the U.S., an annual holiday honoring military veterans.

U.S. President Woodrow Wilson first proclaimed an Armistice Day for November 11, 1919. It was approved as a legal holiday in 1938 as a a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as Armistice Day. Through an act of the U.S. Congress in 1954, it has since been known as Veterans Day.

Today I salute with honor and praise all veterans who served my country in the military. I pray for the departed souls of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice of their lives serving our country. I pray for those who are currently serving our country; that they will come home soon, safe and sound, to their families and a country who welcomes them with open arms, gratefulness, and abundant opportunities.

Well my grandfather is no longer with us as he has been called home to his heavenly God but in prayer I salute him today for his service during World War I. To my father and son, I salute you with honor and praise today as a fellow veteran, and hope you both have a great Veterans Day.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pierini for your service.

Thank you to all of our veterans who have served and are serving.

Here's a website with a few stories from some veterans who have served our country. My father in law (recently passed away) is one of them.
http://www.jonwebbphoto.com/

Have a blessed day.
Donna

Pierini Fitness said...

Thank you and thank you for sharing that website.