Monday, June 8, 2015

At a neighborhood park

McKinley Park in Sacramento
This middle-aged man fitness dude has always done better belonging to a gym and doing his workouts there.  

I’ve also done the home thing including backyard, basement and garage varieties and while many of those workouts were stellar in both efforts expended and results achieved, by and large I have historically preferred going to a gym to do my fitness stuff.  

Not a pretty boy gym but a more traditional one with a preference for one a little rough around the edges.

But life changes and so do the places we frequent – for better or worse – and that has been my case in a business decision I recently made to cancel my longstanding gym membership effective the first of this month.

Many friends, good workouts and pleasant memories at my former gym.
Will I gravitate back to the backyard, basement or garage?  Maybe some of the time but with good weather abundant this time of the year, this middle-aged man will focus on kettlebell work, calisthenics, brisk walking and some perimeter runs around a tree-rich neighborhood park.

A kettlebell workout under a shady park tree will be my breath of fresh air.
This summer I'll give my fitness training some newly-needed spark by swinging my kettlebell at a neighborhood park.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum


2 comments:

Deacon Dave said...

Ever think about an outdoor Boot Camp group? This 59 year old Italian-American (and a Catholic deacon too...looks like you are Catholic from some stuff your site) switched from years of solo kettlebells, free weights, etc in my garage gym 8 months ago. Mon-Thurs anywhere from 3-10 of us meet 6-7PM with a trainer who owns the boot camp business for some pretty robust workouts with various bodyweight moves, light-weight dumbbell use, jogging, obstacles, ropes, ladders...list goes on and on. Depending on my schedule I try and make it to Boot Camp 3-4 times a week. But I also keep up my KBs and weights on Saturdays in my garage :)

Pierini Fitness said...

Thanks for the visit Deacon Dave. I'll keep that in the back of my mind but for the time being will go at it solo. Yes, I'm a cradle-to-grave Roman Catholic middle-aged man. Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.