Monday, August 31, 2015

Easier to be a glutton

So today marks the one-month anniversary of this middle-aged man buttoning up his eating and eating “clean” - yup, I started being disciplined one month ago today.

So like the hypocrite that resides deeply in all of us if we’re rigorously honest, I had gotten a little sloppy with my eating.  

It began I’m not so sure how long ago but, more likely than not, the sloppiness had a start and stop again pattern to it.  In any event, one month and one day ago today, after returning from a short trip to visit my grandsons, I returned home alone while my wife stayed behind.  I made a promise to myself that the following day I was going to reclaim my dormant disciplined eating lifestyle.

What did I do?  I did a couple of things that I’ve done every day since, all with the purpose of taming my undisciplined eating beast.

For starters, I eliminated my seven forbidden C foods that I wrote about here:


Second, I eliminated all beverages with calories with the exception of a protein shake that supplements my nutrition that costs me 120 calories but gives me 23 grams of protein.  But other than that, I don’t drink any other calories – nada!  I really haven’t been drinking alcohol lately for no other reason that I have no burning desire to do so.  I’m keeping up this adult beverage abstinence during my current disciplined clean eating journey. 

Third, I’m just eating less and more slowly which gives my gut-to-brain signal more time to kick in and tell me that I’m full.  I wrote about this in The Pierini DIET  



And finally, although unrelated to nutrition, I’ve been a bit more disciplined in my fitness training focusing on both short-duration/high-intensity and long duration/ moderate-intensity bodyweight and kettlebell training. 

How is it going?  Glad you asked.  It’s going pretty good, the beast has been tamed and we’re slowly getting back to where we want to be.  I’ll have more to share in another month.

What I’ve learned, particularly during the early days of my current disciplined eating journey, is that it’s easier to be a glutton.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great reminder for all of us middle-aged men... the Gluttony Beast is always just around the corner, waiting for us to slip up.