Friday, August 14, 2015

I'll never know

August 14th is a day to remember for several reasons about things that to this day are fun to know, important and/or memorable in our middle-aged man lives.

On this day in 1935, for example, then President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed into law the Social Security Act creating a government pension system for the retired that we all know to this day.

Ten years later in 1945, Japan accepted Allied terms of surrender in World War II.

Old-school middle-aged men football fans will appreciate this next one.  On this day in 1959, the founding and first official meeting of the American Football League (AFL) took place.  For AFL history buffs, think Boston Patriots, Buffalo Bills, Dallas Texans, Denver Broncos, Houston Oilers, Los Angeles Chargers, New York Titans, and Oakland Raiders.

Today is also the birthday of NBA basketball legend Magic Johnson who was born 56 years ago.

But what’s most important to me about this day is that 89 years ago, my deceased father was born – August 14, 1926.  He’s no longer here for me to wish him a happy birthday but I can certainly say a prayer in thanksgiving for the years I had this happy birthday singing pleasure.  I remember the last time we sung happy birthday to him on his 86th birthday.  I have a private video of that day for my forever pleasant memories.

A good friend of mine had a father who lived to be 101 years young and in early 2014 I had an opportunity to interview this “young man” and wrote about it here at Pierini Fitness.  What a blessing my friend had to have had a father who lived that long.

So what was it like to have had a father who lived that long.  I’ll never know.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: