Friday, June 5, 2009

A stallion appetite awaits us


About one month ago while visiting another fitness website, I stumbled across a comment someone posted that left a lasting impression with me. It was posted by a person who goes by the forum name of Viking Dan. It gives a great perspective of the relative roles of exercise and food consumption in weight loss, and achieving and maintaining a healthy bodyweight.

I’m not sure if the quote was a Viking Dan original or a restatement of something he read elsewhere, but here it is:

"Cardio, unless carried to an extreme, won´t do much for weight loss. You can't outrun your mouth. The calories I burn in an hour of jogging can be eaten in 10 seconds."

As someone who has done lots of challenging cardio workouts in his training past but does minimal nowadays, I can personally vouch for the truthfulness of this statement. It’s darn good food for thought for all of us before we saddle up on the cardio pony for a long ride, knowing that at the end of the journey a stallion appetite awaits us.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

1 comment:

DaveFSS said...

Well,
when you weigh more to start with,
you burn calories with cardio a little faster, so I have that going for me, but I am very aware of the conundrum you speak of.
I am not talking about a calm half hour of stationary bike, something a little more intense lets me burn a fairly high # of cals