Friday, October 23, 2009

The anaerobic conditioning department

Being long overdue for a new fitness toy purchase, I recently invested in a GYMBOSS interval timer and it arrived in the mail on Monday. I’ve known about this fitness gadget for years but never purchased one, preferring instead to rely on my heart rate monitor as my sole cardiovascular training tool. The combination of a recently-discovered dead battery in my heart rate monitor that I resurrected from the bottom of my gym bag last week, plus reading about the GYMBOSS on a couple fitness forum websites I frequent, motivated me to buy one.

I won’t make today’s blogflection long by describing how this interval timer works but instead proceed to share that I put it to immediate use during the cardio closer component of my Monday afternoon gym workout. I set the working interval for 40 seconds and the rest interval for 20 seconds and then proceeded to perform 100 reps of two-handed swings using a 24 kilogram kettlebell. Continuing with my theme of mopping the cardio floor in 5 minutes or less, I completed my 100th rep about 4 minutes and 25 seconds after the first swing. It was hard work, I was breathing hard and my glutes and other members of my posterior chain felt worked.

My next goal is to get a new battery for my heart rate monitor and use it along with my GYMBOSS for some “kick butt” training and to get some updated heart rate readings to see where I am in the anaerobic conditioning department.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: