Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Because I got caught


There’s always plenty of news to be had on the internet that, besides filling our insatiable thirst for gossip, provides opportunities to learn and reflect about the joys and perils of life; and to be reminded that we are all sinners.

Sinners - the forgotten S-word that you seldom read about in the secular world in which we live!

The latest case in point is the recent bust of late-night talk show host David Letterman’s infidelities with female employees of his show. Now he has the difficult task of making amends with those in his life whom he has hurt including his wife, child, other family members, show staff and fans to name a few. Let’s not forget his soul and his God, or higher power, on this list.

Whether you believe in God or sin doesn’t matter in this case because most standards that the non-believer live by clearly recognizes the wrongness of Mr. Letterman’s acts. He’s made a public apology and that’s a start but there’s much more he needs to do. To keep him in our prayers and thoughts, rather than use his plight as comic fodder, is an opportunity for each of us to test our character, compassion and values.

In difficult situations when I’ve hurt someone, I’ve learned to ask for their forgiveness rather than to say I’m sorry. To say I’m sorry is all about me and doesn’t empower the person whom I’ve hurt. To ask for their forgiveness is more empowering to them, and their active forgiving me, in response to my request, is true healing in the making.

The contrition lesson to learn about saying that I’m sorry is to examine if I am truly sorry because what I did was wrong, or whether I ‘m sorry because I got caught.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

6 comments:

Charles Long said...

I think Letterman is mainly sorry that he got caught.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of that line from Archbishop Fulton Sheen, who, at the height of his powers and television fame, was allowed to speak at Folsom Pen: "Gentlemen I want you to know that there's one great difference between you and me...[dramatic pause]...you got caught!" He did not, however, make any revelations or apologies!

Tom said...

Good points. The next hard point is that getting caught doesn't mean just by the police or journalists, but also watching our victim cry or get angry at us. Did we think of our wrongness ourselves or did it have to be pointed out to us?
As for judging another's motives for sorryhood, I'd rather not.

Pierini Fitness said...

Thanks for the visits fellas.

The once instance in which it is probably better to focus on ME, ME, and ME is in identifying my faults and confessing my sins.

Charles Long said...

Good point, Ed. Identifying my faults would be a daunting task and take a whole lot of time.

JME said...

Very good observations to consider. Thanks for sharing them.

Joel