Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Tamales at midnight


Last week I wrote that my wife and I were cooking homemade tamales on Christmas Eve, ready to be eaten hot off the steamer at midnight. Here’s my blogflection if you missed it: Tamales for Christmas

Well the big day has arrived as today is Christmas Eve. Starting this afternoon, we’ll begin spreading the masa on the corn husks, and then filling them with shredded pork cooked in an ancho chili sauce prepared from scratch. These will be healthier tamales if there is such a thing, because the masa was prepared with corn oil rather than the standard lard.

After prepared, the tamales will cook in a large steaming pot over the stovetop for a couple hours. I’ll lift the steamer lid every now and then to see if they are ready. These periodic inspections are reminders that, as a middle-age man, I’m impatient when it comes to food, as if doing this speeds up the cooking time.

Bets are that I’ll eat eight tamales at midnight.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: