Tuesday, December 22, 2009

And I am

Introducing the Pierini DIET here

Yesterday afternoon I returned to my gym for a workout after a one week training rest almost to the hour. It felt good to give my body a week’s rest; it also felt equally good to put it back in fitness training action.

This week of rest and recovery gave me time to reflect on my training this year with so few days remaining before the start of a new calendar year. It’s been a year in which I’ve not done anything spectacular other than train with predictable regularity with sprinklings of both planned and unplanned rest and recovery respites.

It’s a year in which I didn’t set any new personal records however measured. I’m not lifting heavier loads than a year earlier, nor am I performing higher reps in sets of bodyweight exercises such as pushups and pullups. It’s a year in which I announced that I am a “retired runner”. It’s also a year in which my karate training has been frustratingly nonexistent.

Yet despite this lackluster performance, I still showed up, dressed up and trained with a regularity and variety indicative of a good training ethic. That’s probably what matters the most for middle-age fitness warriors like me.

Between now and the end of the year, it’s fair to say that my fitness training will not be much different than it has been thus far this year. It’s highly unlikely that I’ll hit a homerun, score a touchdown, make a “three pointer”, score a knockout or pin my opponent.

I’m OK with that and am grateful that, despite here and there middle-age man aches and pains, I’m still playing the fitness game to the best of my abilities. I can run up a flight of stairs without being winded at the top and bend over to tie my shoes without throwing out my back or ripping the seat of my pants.

In my fitness world, there’s much to be grateful for and I am.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: