Saturday, December 26, 2009

What he ought to be

Introducing the Pierini DIET here

Regular readers of Pierini Fitness know that last week at this time my wife and I were completing our last day of a 4-day silent marriage retreat in Phoenix, Arizona. It was a great experience. I encourage all married couples to invest a weekend and do something similar. Just as we devote energy and training to be physically fit, so should we devote similar energy and training to be “marriage fit”.

Each mealtime during our retreat, a priest read from a book titled “Christ in the Home” by Raoul Plus, S.J. while we ate our food in silence. This book was originally published in 1951 and the author was a Jesuit priest. I enjoyed the author’s clever way of expressing his thoughts about marriage, the home, and marriage training. The wit with which he used must have challenged the person who translated the book from French to English.

My wife and I both enjoyed these mealtime readings so much that we purchased the book and are currently reading it most evenings at home as part of our ongoing marriage fitness activities.

Something I read the other night really stuck with me and I think it applies to everything we set out to do well in our lives, be it our career, marriage, parenting, being a good son or daughter, and our fitness training. In the words of Father Plus, “ . . . everyone has the duty on his own responsibility to make himself what he ought to be.”

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: