Friday, November 22, 2013

Unpredictably predictable

I’ve had fun at various times playing with words and creating my own verbal and written expressions of an aphoristic nature. 

Admittedly, I'm not in the same major league as baseball great Yogi Berra who prowess is so established that the word “yogi-ism” was invented describing his many paradoxical and wise sayings. 

But wise sayings come from many years of wise life experiences in which wisdom is gained and lost.  Hopefully, as more of my lifetime passes, I’ll establish my own patented brand of “Pierini-isms.”  

You know the old saying, “It’s not over until the fat lady sings.”  Last time I checked, she wasn’t singing.

My self-described and, hopefully, sometimes clever verbal and written expressions surface when I seek opportunities to be clever and then quickly respond. 

They can be offensive or defensive in nature just like a stand-up comedian trying to make his audience laugh, or a boxer’s punch in the ring.  Just the boxer, they must be delivered with precision and in the right combination to be effective and create a “win.”

Most of my time, this win is nothing more than a good old-fashioned deep belly laugh giving me relief from the toils of daily life and strife. 

Sometimes, however, my chasing a quick laugh is directed at someone else’s apparent goofiness or shortcomings rather than at me and my own foolish and goofy behavior.

It’s better to be the clown dishing it out than the subject of some else’s clowning.  I learned this lesson early in life as a young boy on the school playground.

In previous amateurish efforts of my own play with expressions, I’ve asked if perhaps I'm zealously lethargic or have a fascination with procrastination.

Now I’m wondering if at times my eccentric, sometimes manic and definitely off-the-beaten path middle-aged man behavior borders on being realistically bizarre or unpredictably predictable.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: