Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Continuing to march forward


Last Friday was the end of week 3 of my burpee challenge. I felt like I did when in Army basic training 36 years ago this same month of the year. Time seems to move so slow and “graduation day” seems so far to go.

For those who missed my burpee challenge, you can read about it here:

No burpees today no food tomorrow

The following is my third week status report:

Monday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee/jumping pullup combo with a different grip for 9 sets of a 6 rep circuit (standard grip pullup – standard grip chinup – close grip pullup – close grip chinup – wide grip pullup – wide grip chinup). Time to complete: 12:02 - last effort was 10:07 on January 13th but there were some differences between the two efforts.

The 12:02 was done using a higher pullup bar than the previous effort, and after an Olympic lift training session that concluded with 5 sets of barbell squats. My prior effort was done with fresh legs during an evening workout that only consisted of the burpees.

Tuesday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee. Note that each rep of my standard burpee includes a strict pushup and a jump with hands overhead. Time to complete: 6:10 - prior week time was 6:34.

Wednesday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee. Time to complete: 6:06 - prior day time was 6:10.

Thursday
A single set of 54 reps of the standard burpee. Time to complete: 6:05 - prior day time was 6:06.

Friday
A single set of 54 reps of the combo of a standard burpee followed by 2 walking lunges with a front kick (left and right) for a total of 54 burpees and 108 walking lunges with a front kick. Time to complete: 14:33 – last effort was 12:28 on January 23rd.

This effort was after an Olympic lift training session that concluded with 6 sets of front squats whereas my prior effort was done during an evening attempt when my body and legs were fresh. That’s my excuse for this dismal effort.

So I've completed week 3 of my burpee challenge. I believe my conditioning continues to slowly but surely improve, even though my times were slower on Monday and Friday when compared to past week efforts. Like the young soldier I was in Army basic training 36 years ago, I am continuing to march forward.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

2 comments:

Greg Newton said...

Hi Pierini,

Your strength/endurance feats amaze me. Just thinking about 54 burpees with a chin makes my stomach feel queasy. But, that gives one something to aspire to. And, being a few years ahead of me, you give me hope that the best is yet to come.

Your pal,

Greg Newton

Pierini Fitness said...

Hi Greg,

Thanks for stopping by and the compliment.

It's a lonely feeling at the mid-point of that workout but it may be a little easier the next time I'm there because I'll think of your compliment.

Stop by more often. Have a great day!