Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Treating myself to a Green 3 cocktail


Inspired by a cyberspace fitness brother's discussion, about 6 weeks ago I went to my local health food store and purchased 10 individual serving packets of a powdered green drink - that stuff that looks pond scum mixed in water. My friend wrote about his improved fitness performance when he drank one of these powdered green drinks before his workout.

Well I eventually finished all 10 packets and didn't notice any improved training performance. In all honesty, I wasn't doing any maximum-effort anaerobic training at the time like my friend, so perhaps I should temper my conclusion about the benefits of powdered green drinks for another day.

Drinking these powdered green drinks reminded me of several years ago when I was into "juicing" - making fruit and vegetable juices from fresh fruits and vegetables using a homemade juicing machine. After much experimentation with several fruit and vegetable juice concoctions, I eventually strayed into the green zone. After developing the necessary acquired taste, I actually began enjoying a green vegetable juice I coined my "Green 3" cocktail.

The Green 3 cocktail is made using equal parts of spinach, celery and cucumbers. An 8 to 12 ounce drink served in a chilled drinking glass does the job. It will also give you an Incredible Hulk-looking tongue.

Lately I've been thinking about resurrecting my juicer to the kitchen countertop from the kitchen cabinet below where it sits and collects dust. Maybe this weekend I'll visit the produce department at my local health food store, buy some spinach, celery and cucumbers, and treating myself to a Green 3 cocktail.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

3 comments:

Dan Cenidoza said...

Check the forum. Strength training. I think your boy ihaveadog is back.

Anonymous said...

Too bad it didn't work for you but it still works for me. I notice a big difference when I don't have my greens before a workout. I have some at my side right now ready to drink before my workout in a few. Spinning burpees will be on the menu tonight along with 3 or 4 other things.

Pierini Fitness said...

Thanks for the heads up Dan.

Hi Charles, I'm sure there will be a phase II to my green experiment. I've been doing more burpees these days so I'll think about a spinning burpee combo for a future workout.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!