Thursday, January 8, 2009

A day older


On Monday and Tuesday, I attended continuing education seminars required to keep my job skills current and to comply with professional license requirements. These daylong seminars were well attended with upwards of 300 people both days. I enjoy these annual knowledge updates delivered "bricks and mortar" style rather than getting my education in cyberspace because of the social interaction. I'm able to chitchat with fellow professionals I haven't seen lately.

I've been attending seminars like these for over 25 years, beginning as a professional "youngster" and now being slightly past the middle-age point of my career. I've seen the old-timers pass on and those who were once what I am now age to become the elder statesmen of my profession. Humorous verbal sparring with these "oldsters" - both giving and receiving - makes for an enjoyable day.

On Monday, I approached my middle and elder age men and women comrades with greetings followed by an exclamatory "hey, you're a year older!" That brought a guaranteed chuckle 100 percent of the time. Those who were quick-witted had an immediate response for me. We both had fun with our aging reality.

The following day, I approached some of these same people with a good morning greeting that was followed by another exclamatory "hey you're a day older!" That had the same result as the previous day - a guaranteed morning laugh before we all sat down to feed our brains with an overwhelming update of tax law changes.

Give this a try if you are ever in a similar situation. It works best with people you've known for a long time but see infrequently, and who are middle to elder age in their lives. It will produce a guaranteed laugh and set the stage for great conversation to follow. But before you put this chuckle-maker to work, begin your day by looking at yourself in the mirror and notice that you are a day older.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make commitment to fitness seem easy. I for one will not take my health for granted as I age. Life is too short.

-John Darbani