Friday, July 24, 2009

PR or try again?


At the end of my hit and miss Wednesday afternoon workout, I got the bright idea to test myself with weighted standard grip pullups to see if I might pull off a new personal record (PR). My current PR is 82.5 lbs. of added weight set over 2 years ago at a bodyweight about 5 lbs. higher than my current weight.

My performance standards are that a weighted pullup does not have to begin from a dead hang (ouch on my elbows as the weight gets heavy) but there must not be any jumping momentum as I begin my upward pull (standard #1). Additionally, my chin must clear the bar (standard #2). Other people may have their own standards but these are mine.

So after a warmup consisting of 2 sets of 3 reps with just my bodyweight, I began a short singles progression that consisted of 45 lbs., 70 lbs. and finally a PR attempt of 85 lbs. Here's the video of my 85 lb. PR attempt:




Afterwards, I performed a set of of bodyweight pullups for 15 reps and failed on the 16th rep.

For the 85 lb. PR attempt, I'm satisfied that there was no jumping momentum as I began my upward pull (standard #1) but not totally convinced that my chin cleared the bar (standard #2).

Please tell me what you see, PR or try again?

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have to ask, you're gonna want to redo it.

I thought the chin cleared, with my bad eyesight.

Still . . .

Tom

Charles Long said...

I think it cleared the bar but just barely. I don't have my glasses on though.

Pierini Fitness said...

Hi Tom and Charles and thanks for your good eyes and comments.

After much deliberation, I have decided that it's two red lights to my attempt so my final call is try again. I'll try again within 30 days.

DT Man said...

It was close. Try again.
Nice work though!