Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Singles progression


It’s natural in fitness training to chase and set a personal best or personal record (PR) in the various exercises that make up our training mix. In the running world, a PR may be the time it takes to sprint 100 meters or 400 meters, or run a longer distance such as 5k or 10k. In the bodyweight-only exercise world, it may be the number of pushup or pullup reps you can complete in a single set. In the world of static isometric postures, it may be the time you can hold a handstand, hang from a pullup bar or hold an ab plank. At one time or another, I’ve chased and set PRs in these exercises and got fitter and had fun in my pursuits.

Many chase PRs involving the maximum weight they can lift for a single rep, such as the bench press, deadlift or squat in the power lifting universe, or the snatch and clean and jerk in the Olympic weightlifting universe. In my short and recent Olympic weightlifting journey, I’ve chased and set PRs in the snatch and clean and jerk. As modest as my PRs are to the outside world, they are sources of accomplishment and pride for me.

I’ve also chased PRs with weighted pullups and weighted bar dips for a single rep. My best weighted pullup is 82.5 lbs. My best weighted chinup is 100 lbs. My best weighted bar dip is 105 lbs. Again, in the worldwide universe of fitness dudes chasing PRs, my accomplishments are modest but they are mine and I’m proud of them.

A time-tested and proven way that I use to test for a PR is singles progression. Let’s say I want to test myself for a weighted pullup and attempt a PR. I might warm up performing 2 to 3 sets of 3 reps of bodyweight (BW) pullups and then start a singles progression with added weight. For example, about 6 weeks ago I decided that I wanted to chase a new PR in weighted standard grip pullups and chinups. During one training session with standard grip pullups, this is what I did (all amounts are lbs.) - BWx3 – 25x1 – 35x1 – 45x1 – 55x1 – 70x1. I decided not to go any higher as I didn’t believe that a PR was possible. Then, I did a standard grip chinup for 88x1 and called it a day. Note that I have not yet set a new PR for the weighted standard grip pullup but have since done 80x1. It’s just a matter of time before I set a new PR.

Here’s a short video of my squat clean singles progression workout from yesterday:



One point to keep in mind is that singles progression is not for strength building but strength testing. Performing multiple sets of 2 to 3 reps is where you'll get a bigger bang for your buck with strength building.

Next time you are chasing a weighted PR, get it with singles progression.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

2 comments:

Franklin said...

Looking real sharp in the video!

I too use the singles approach for testing 1RM but usually in the smaller 5kg (or 10lbs for those who favor the English system of measurements) increments and even smaller (e.g. 5lbs) as I approach my current 1RM.

I have also done sessions where doubles and triples are performed say up to 80% of 1RM before testing a new PR with singles. Of course the number of these multi-rep sets has to be less than a normal session to allow for enough recovery to attempt the PR. I seem to have had better luck with this method for testing a PR in training while the pure singles method is better for warming up during a meet.

Pierini Fitness said...

Hi Franklin, thanks for sharing what has worked for you. I'm taking notes.