Wednesday, February 19, 2014

One year ago today

Last year my father died a horrific and painful death from angiosarcoma; it’s a rare type of cancer of the inner lining of blood vessels.

One year and one day ago in the evening as I was ready to call it a night after having been up since 5:00 a.m. that morning, my Dad called me on the telephone asking if I would talk to his oncologist the following morning.  He shared his pain had become unbearable and how he wasn’t sure if he could wait another week for his next scheduled appointment.  I told him I was coming to get him and we were going to the hospital emergency room. 

When I arrived, I saw a beaten and fallen man with a very defeated and sad look on his face.  He had obviously gone to a higher level of reality that all was not well with him in a big and serious way.  I assisted him into the car and off we drove to the hospital for an all-night emergency room experience.  I had no idea how it would unfold.

The ensuing events of spending an all-nighter in the hospital emergency room was very exhausting and traumatic  as I watched my now frail dear Dad laying on a hospital bed waiting to be seen and given a series of examinations and tests that would last until the wee hours of the following morning.  There was more gut-wrenching drama the following day.  

This entire episode kept me awake for 36-hours over two days in what was one of many traumatic experiences to follow for the remainder of my Dad’s life until he got called home to his Heavenly Father on May 24, 2013.

Earlier in the hospital emergency room at about 1:30 a.m. in the morning – one year ago today - with my dear Dad laying on a hospital bed waiting to be seen, I held his hand and assured him I would stay with him all night for as long as necessary.  He suggested I go home and get some rest because he would be OK but that wasn’t anything I was about to do.  I held his hand and gently touched his shoulder while feeling grateful to be in his company.

Then he looked at me - ever so beaten but strong enough for a moment - and told me “Happy Birthday Eddie!” for the very last time one year ago today.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: