Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Eating my bacon on Sunday

In my growing interest of reading health-related news articles and the doings of the World Health Organization (WHO), I’ve shared much of both here and sometimes made wise-guy comments.  In doing so, I’ve learned I’m not a big fan of WHO.

So today I’m sharing one of WHO’s latest and that’s perhaps something you’ve also read.  WHO’s experts tell us that eating processed meats like hot dogs, sausages or bacon can lead to bowel cancer in humans and red meat is a likely cause of the disease.

This is of great interest to this 60-year young middle-aged man who has never had a screening colonoscopy to check for the existence of colorectal cancer.  According to my research, it’s the 9th leading cause of death of middle-aged men in my age decade (55-64 years). 

I’ll have more to say about screening colonoscopies in the near future.  I’ve done lots of research about them and have thoughts and opinions needing to be shared.

But now let’s go back to WHO’s latest.

Apparently, each 50 gram portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18 percent.  The key word here is “daily”.

I suppose there are middle-aged men who eat processed meat daily.  Perhaps there may have been windows in my nutrition past when I did.  I don’t know for sure.

So assuming I will be alarmed about this 18 percent higher risk, what’s my solution to guard against it?

Eating my salami sandwich on Wednesday and eating my bacon on Sunday.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: