Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Almost 122 times older than him

   An Old Man and his Grandson, circa 490, by Domenico Ghirladaio.                
There’s nothing like a little grandson to make you realize how precious life is and how old you really are.  This confession comes from a middle-aged man who constantly and jokingly tells himself how he sees a 16-year-old kid when looking in a mirror.

Exhibit A of this revelation is this middle-aged man’s youngest grandson who turned age 6 months yesterday.  While rocking him last evening and looking at him in his little eyes, I thought about how long a life he hopefully will live.  Doing a little math as I’m inclined to do, I determined it would be the year 2075 before he’ll be my age.

Wow if that doesn’t wake me up to the reality of how old I am then nothing will!  Then I pondered what the world might be like in that future year so long from now. 

And while staring little JJP in his eyes, I told my little grandson in a language and dialect that can only be best described as grandpa gibberish how I’m almost 122 times older than him.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: