Thursday, March 5, 2009

Cheap adult day care


This is the time of year that I meet face to face with many of my clients. The things we normally talk about changes from year to year and vary from client to client. This year, however, many are talking about how much their investment portfolios have declined in value and how this may change when they are able to retire. Some realize they'll have to work longer than planned. Others now acknowledge that they may never be financially able to retire.

Many of my self-employed business clients seldom fully retire, with the exception of doctors and dentists, including those who have accumulated enough wealth to safely retire. They may semi-retire and scale back how much they work, but they generally keep working in their business.

What about me?

For years, I've announced that I'll work until age 70 so that means another 16 years. I have some family requests to pull the plug sooner and do something else less demanding and different. Thus far, I've not been responsive to those requests but one never knows how the life we live can suddenly change.

There's never a dull moment in the work I do and it keeps me out of trouble. I'm sure that's the case for most middle-age men and women. For many of us, work is cheap adult day care.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Retire? Sounds nice but don't know if it will ever happen.

Pierini Fitness said...

Hi Charles,

We will all get our turn sooner or later.

Franklin said...

Not being able to retire due to lack of financial resources is one of greatest gifts ever bestowed on me.

I have never been in better physical and mental shape in my life. Some say this is as good as it gets .. hardly .. each day is an incredible blessing.