Friday, March 6, 2009

Then I'm getting older


Today is my son’s 29th birthday. It’s also my father-in-law’s 81st birthday and my friend’s 54th birthday.

Starting with my friend, I wish her a happy 54th birthday and assure her a common understanding of our middle-age man and woman bodies, minds and souls. The ambivalent messages of your mind telling you this but the mirror telling you that should not be a source of bliss but rather gratefulness. Count your blessings and realize the abundance of your bounty.

For my father-in-law, I wish him a happy 81st birthday and give him special thanks for being the father of my wife. He leads a very active elder life. I always take notes of his actions and thoughts when in his presence because they provide clues of my elder future. God has blessed him with the grace of humor, one of his fountains of youth.

To my son, I wish him a happy 29th birthday and remind him that he is still a young pup so enjoy his youth. As a young boy growing up, he would look to me as an example of what to do in this and that situation. In him I see a maturing young man with beliefs and values grounded in God. I sometimes now find myself looking to him as an example of what I should do in this and that situation.

To each of them, please accept my prayers and thoughts for your good faith, fitness, fortune and health. Know that the best is yet to come, your chronological age count has advanced by one, and you’re getting older. Find comfort in knowing that you’re not alone because if you’re getting older then I’m getting older.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: