Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Single digit midget


Ask any person who served in the Army, or any other branch of the military, if they remember the day they became a double digit midget and chances are they will, and also share a story or two about that era of their life.

What does it mean to be a double digit midget? It’s soldier jargon to describe someone who has 99 days or less to go until discharge from military service. I remember the day I became a double digit midget. Chances are I went out and celebrated that night but, quite frankly, I can’t recall with absolute certainty thanks to some middle-age man memory blur.

But the ultimate coveted status all soldiers patiently waited for is exactly the status I have right now with a mere 8 days to go before my grueling 2009 tax work season is over - that of being a single digit midget.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

No comments: