Thursday, March 4, 2010

In the long run

The Pierini DIET - click here to learn more

A recent article I read discussed the rules that multi-billionaire stock investor Warren Buffet lives by. While a good and short read about financial investing success, this middle-age man fitness dude zeroed in on one of his investment rules and recognized its applicability to fitness, health and wellness.

One of Mr. Buffet’s financial investment rules to live by was “Our favorite holding period is forever.” in the context of how long should you own stock.

According to Mr. Buffet, if you don’t feel comfortable owning a stock for 10 years, you shouldn’t own it for 10 minutes. The article elaborated this rule with some obvious exceptions but also drove home the point that being too fearful or too greedy can cause investors to sell stocks at the bottom or buy at the peak, both acts of which destroy portfolio appreciation in the long run.

So what was the fitness, health and wellness angle that I detected in this rule? It’s that this rule is true in the context of my dietary lifestyle and fitness training.

The way I see it, the dietary lifestyle and fitness training that I do today is that I should be able to do for the rest of my life. Like the investor, being too fearful or too greedy with my dietary lifestyle and fitness training can cause me to abandon my efforts at my bottom or overdo it at my peak. Both of these are not sustainable and can destroy my fitness, health and wellness appreciation in the long run.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

1 comment:

Tom said...

I finally figured that out in my mid-forties when a 6' 3", 240 lb man with the speed of most small men joined our dojo and I realized there is no way on earth I will ever be that big and strong. From then on I went to maintenance and good-enough fitness.