Saturday, March 20, 2010

Research study in progress

The Pierini DIET - click here to learn more

Yesterday morning I awakened and looked at the clock, learned that it was 4:30 a.m. and asked myself whether I should sleep for another 30 minutes to one hour, or get up and get ready for work. My split-second answer was go get up and get going for there was much to do waiting for me at my office.

My morning ritual meeting with the mirror - to say hello to that 16-year old kid that every middle-age man sees when looking in the mirror - was an eye-opener when I met this puffy-faced character who looked like he had been stung in the face by a swarm of bees. I managed to silently greet myself with a good morning hello while admiring the serious bags resting below my eyes, an all too-familiar morning image lately. I had gone to bed around 11:30 p.m. the night before and awakened from a quick five hour sleep.

It wasn’t the first night this week of my too-short session with “Mr. Sandman” because I’ve been working on a serious sleep deficit all week, and this will likely continue for another four weeks. It goes with the turf this time of year with my busy work season.

It also brings back memories of when I was in the military 35-years ago and still trying to conquer the “manual labor” of getting up early and going to work every day. Every workday, I’d wake up tired as can be and tell myself that I was going straight to bed after work. Later, when returning from work, I’d rest a little, take a shower, get a second-wind, and then go out with my friends for some evening action. Before I knew it, it was late and I'd get to bed late again. It was a vicious cycle that ended only when I was so dead-tired that I "crashed” into a deep-sleep stupor like a drunken sailor who had been sucker punched in a nightclub brawl.

There are similarities between then and now. In both cases, despite being slow for the first five to ten minutes upon awakening, I’m an early bird for the most part. My brain awakens and is ready to go and capable of sustaining a high degree of productivity for long hours. I’m grateful for this gift from God.

But any way you look at it, I’m sporting a sleep deficit that is growing by the day. I wonder how long it will be before I crash. Time will answer my question but, until then, this is a sleep-deficit research study in progress.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum

4 comments:

fishhead said...

Haha. The puffy face comment almost made me spew coffee 'cause I'm feelin' the same way this morning. Stayed up til 1:30am and woke up at 7:30am. A little more sleep than you got, though. I hope you survive your next four weeks. I'm sure you will.

I made my yearly trek to visit my tax guy in my hometown (a whopping 17 mile journey-haha)this last week. He's 80 yrs young!! I asked him if he was still gonna be working next year and he said "If the Good Lord's willin' ".

So, if the Good Lord's willin', you'll make it another 4 weeks. Do you think you'lll still be working when you're 80???

Pierini Fitness said...

Hi Donna,

Actually I wrote this one before hitting the sack last night. My wife knew I was tired so she ordered and facilitated me getting to bed at 7:00 p.m. I slept until 4:30 a.m. and woke up feeling like a "rich man" and rejuvenated, ready to get to my office for another long day.

As tax dudes like our work and our clients so I understand where your guy is at. If the Good Lord is willing, I'd go until I dropped but my wife would like me to pull the plug right now. I'll compromise and call it age 70 until further notice so I've got 15 to go if the Good Lord is willing.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

Charles Long said...

I get up around 4 Monday through Friday for work. It gets old. I got to sleep in until 7 this morning.

Raaj Shetty said...

Raj Shetty is one of the well known person in the world of fitness solution provider in Surat, India. He has trained many peoples in and from outside of surat. Raj shetty has been providing fitness solution in scientific way and that has helped in getting good result in short span of time.